Monday, November 8, 2010

Special Delivery from Lady Lions Basketball

I don't think much about basketball at Penn State until the football season ends - Terry and I often miss early games in the basketball season because we are away following Penn State football.

But today I had a special delivery.  Let me explain.

This morning I received a call at home from a young lady who stated she was with the Penn State basketball office.  She wanted to know if I would be home that afternoon because they needed to deliver Lady Lion basketball tickets to us. 


We had received neither our men's nor our ladies' basketball season tickets by mail, which is the usual form of delivery.  So this seemed to be a legitimate call.  In fact I asked about the men's tickets as well.

In any case, I was headed to campus - Smeal College - to teach so I suggested that she simply stop by the marketing department office to deliver the tickets, and gave her my building address.  Thought that would be more convenient than driving out to our house.

She agreed, but said, "Will you be there?  We want to deliver a surprise for you."

So I told her I would be in my office between 1:15-2:15 for office hours.

She said okay, she would see me then.

So that got me curious - what would happen?  This was a rather unusual request.  And my imagination ran wild.

I called Terry and asked if he wanted to come to the office to see what would happen.  He said no, he would hear it from me later.

A colleague suggested that I needed to be more careful - it could be a scam to see if I was going to be home during those times.  But when I told him that I in fact hadn't received our season tickets, he felt that perhaps it was legitimate.

In any case, at about 2 p.m. today, two Lady Lion basketball players came to my office to personally deliver our basketball tickets:  sophomore guard Renee Womack and freshman guard Maggie Lucas.

What a nice promotion!  And it was very nice meeting them.  You can be sure that I will be more motivated to attend those Thursday and Sunday games having now met two players who will be performing each week.

Maggie Lucas, Freshman Guard, (left) and Renee Womack, Sophomore Guard (right), deliver Lady Lion basketball tickets to me at my office as a special Lady Lion basketball promotion.


Now, with the first men's basketball game coming soon, I wonder where those tickets are!

And why am I taller than either of these basketball players?  Perhaps I should join the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment